As I lay down to try and sleep, I grew increasingly concerned about this whole contraction business. My mind is playing through all types of scenarios. What if I'm actually in early labor? Here I am in Aurora, an hour away from my doctor and hospital of choice. Luke and Robby have both had too many beers to drive us back to Fort Collins. I seriously considered grabbing Luke and just driving us back to our home base. Or, maybe a better idea would be to call Mom and have her drive us back. I know she'd choke me if she found out I drove in labor when she was able to take us. It's Sunday night at 2:30 a.m. It's now officially my birthday and I'm going into freakin' labor at my friends house! This is NOT how I imagined it. I don't want to spend my birthday in the hospital; this baby isn't finished being built yet!! But, this all seems too easy though. Maybe I'm wonder-woman. These contractions are super easy. SO, this CAN'T be true labor.
I went downstairs to find Luke who hadn't come to bed yet. Sure enough he had fallen asleep on the couch (no surprise since he'd gotten up for work at 4:30 that morning). I went and found Robby and we looked up online the symptoms I was having to try to answer my questions. I read more about Braxton Hicks, false labor and true labor. I fit into some of each category, so my Midwife (Robby) suggested I call my doctor (DUH!).
I called the maternity nurse hotline my insurance company provides and spoke with a nurse who asked lots of questions. How long had these contractions been going along? How long were they lasting? How far apart were they? When was the last time I had any water to drink? She suggested chugging several glasses of water and laying down. Also, she told me to call my doctors' office to speak to the doctor on-call. If I didn't hear back in 20 minutes, call again and go to the hospital. Go to the hospital?! Oh *&#%! I want MY HOSPITAL in safe and lovely Fort Collins. The on-call doc called me right back and was pretty certain I wasn't in labor and to lay down for some rest. If I couldn't sleep, or the feelings became more intense, then I was to go into the hospital.
How could I sleep now? Well, with the help of a backrub and calming voice of my husband (plus the fact that it was 3:30 a.m) I managed to doze off.
We woke with the sunrise. No baby and no more contractions. Luke took me to my favorite place for breakfast and we headed back home for a lazy day in bed. We put on our sweatpants and watched a movie, took a four hour nap and laughed about how Grace was just having a party in my belly for my birthday. *Sigh*.... maybe next time she won't be crying wolf.
2 comments:
wow quite a scare! I wish she would have come on your b-day! Happy birthday by-the-way. I know she's not done but then I could have meet her when I get there on friday! see you soon!
Happy Birthday!
Aren't those Braxton Hicks the best thing in the world!!!! *cough, cough, not*
We went through a similar experience about four weeks before CJ's due date...except it was during the day, and it wasn't my birtday, and we were 5 minutes from the hospital, and Phil could drive just fine. OK, so it was nothing like your night...but, I know what you went through! It's kinda scary and exciting at the same time!
I'd try to make you feel better and tell you that you'll know when it's true labor, but I can't say anything. I went into the hospital to be induced and found out I had already started labor and it could have been going for a couple of days. I just thought the Braxton Hicks were getting more painful, they never got any closer together!
When Grace does come, it'll be amazing. You'll look back and love it. Hopefully you'll be able to love it during the process too. I know I did.
Post a Comment